Frog Poop is a better choice with its delicious chocolate covered sunflower seeds. Sounds gross and tastes amazing!
About Chocolate Covered Sunflower SeedsWhether you choose the unadorned sunflower seeds or chocolate coated ones, these new snacks are fascinating.
HistoryThe original chocolate sunflower seeds, called Sunny Seed Drops, are made by the Sunflower Food & Spice Company, based in Riverside, Missouri. They became popular in 2006 and are now available in plastic boxes in baby shower and holiday themes and also in large plastic tubes topped with sunflowers. They have caught the eye of both health food enthusiasts and those who follow the latest trends.
Nutritional InformationThe average one ounce serving of chocolate covered sunflower seeds contains:
- Two grams of fiber
- Three grams of protein
- Four percent of the RDA for both calcium and iron
- Zero grams of trans fat
Where to FindThis snack is available at most health food stores, including the large chains Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Wild Oats. Many traditional grocery stores also carry it, especially ones that have natural foods or bulk foods sections. Other retailers to check are Cracker Barrel, Cost Plus World Market, Dean & Deluca and chain candy stores. Those that can’t find chocolate sunflower seeds locally can purchase them online. We offer them at The Chocolate Frog.
Making Them at HomeThose who don’t wish to buy the treats can attempt to make them at home. It’s best to skip the candy coating and just go with the chocolate to start.
- Put two cups of sunflowers seeds into a colander and rinse them thoroughly.
- Pour the seeds into a pan filled with two quarts of water and a quarter cup of salt.
- Leave the seeds in the water overnight.
- Pour the seeds back into the colander to drain. Then let them dry on a paper towel for one hour.
- Place them on a large baking sheet.
- Roast them in the oven at 300 degrees for half an hour.
- Melt a four ounce bag of chocolate chips in the microwave. Check it every minute and stir until soft.
- Dip the sunflower seeds in the chocolate. Then lay them on a sheet of wax paper.
- Refrigerate the seeds as soon as possible so the chocolate will harden quickly. They will be ready in about two hours.
Uses for Chocolate Sunflower SeedsWhile many people love eating these sunflower seeds right out of the package, they are also good as ingredients in recipes. They can be used in most that call for traditional chocolate chips. For example, try them in:
- Trail mix
- Snack bars
- Ice cream
Please like & share: